01 October 2021
Transport: €7 billion for key infrastructure projects: key missing links & green transport
A call for proposals launched on 16 September under the Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) for Transport programme makes available €7 billion for projects targeting new, upgraded and improved European transport infrastructure. The majority of projects funded under this call will help to increase the sustainability of our overall transport network, putting the EU on track to meet the European Green Deal objective of cutting transport emissions by 90% by 2050.
Sustainable, smart and resilient infrastructure
The call support’s the European Commission’s vision of sustainable, smart and resilient mobility. As the sector recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic, it must build back better, using the opportunity to further develop sustainable transport modes and technologies and to fully exploit the opportunities offered by digital technologies.
The EU needs an efficient and interconnected multimodal transport system for both passengers and freight. This must include an affordable, high-speed rail network, abundant recharging and refuelling infrastructure for zero-emission vehicles, and increased automation for greater efficiency and safety.
The call addresses each of these points with:
- EUR 5.175 billion for infrastructure projects on the Core and Comprehensive TEN-T (railways, inland waterways, maritime and inland ports, roads, rail-road terminals and multimodal logistics platforms, multimodal passenger hubs, smart and interoperable applications for transport, safe and secure mobility, infrastructure resilience);
- EUR 1.575 billion for a new Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Facility implemented through a rolling call until 2023 (including electricity fast-charging and hydrogen refuelling infrastructure on the TEN-T road network);
- EUR 330 million for the adaptation of the TEN-T to civilian-defence dual-use (Military Mobility envelope).
Who can apply?
Applications are welcome from:
- One or more Member State;
- International organisations or public or private bodies established in an EU Member State, with the agreement of the Member State(s) concerned.
Applicants should submit their proposal electronically via the Funding & Tenders Portal Electronic Submission System before 19 January 2022 at 17:.00 CET.
Source / Further information: